Monday, July 18, 2011

Healthy Snacks for Kids, Part One: Homemade Sweet Potato Fries

Sweet Potato Fries!!!




Have you ever had these at a restaraunt before? I'm pretty sure Rumbi Grill has them - anyway - They are SO good. A few years back my wonderful mother in law bought a huge bag of these from Allison's Pantry and gave me a bunch of them. You can also find them at Costco for like 7 bucks or so if you don't feel like making them. - I was so thrilled to find this recipe on "Our Best Bites". I LOVE LOVE LOVE their blog. I have NEVER made anything that I didn't like from that blog and I have a few "regulars" that I got from them .. this will make blogging very easy since they've already done all of the work for me :).



They have a Sweet Potato Fry recipe that looks fabulous. They prepare them with a lot of herbs and spices and even a dip. I'm definitely going to have to try it some day! I just make these for Sammy and Claire to munch on, so I don't put anything on them. Sweet Potatoes have enough natural flavor as it is :). If you want to add something to make it more like a treat, you can sprinkle light cinamon or even cinamon and brown sugar, but really.. they are sweet enough as it is :). I just took the basics from the blog - how much olive oil, what temp and how long to cook them for :)



What I love about these that Our Best Bites doesn't mention is that you can make large quantities and then freeze them!!



I bake mine slightly under what I would if I were going to eat them fresh then let them cool a bit then line them on a pan just like you did when you baked them and place them in the freezer. When they are frozen, you can clump 'em all up and put them in a gallon ziploc bag! (SO EASY)



When I am ready to eat them, I take the portion I want out of the freezer onto a pan (I don't need to make much each time, so I just use my 9x9 baking pan) and bake them at 400 degrees (or broil them on low) until they are golden and have that awesome crisp outside and soft inside.



You can also microwave them, it just won't be as perfect of a texture. :)



What I absolutely LOVE about these is that my kids can't get enough of them!! Last time I made them, Sammy would eat them frozen he loved them so much! - I love that they are eating a power vegetable with a power oil (olive oil) and they are thinking it's a TREAT! :) An awesome way of ensuring they get their vegetables in! :) SO REAL right??? :) ... ENJOY!!! :)

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/03/baked-sweet-potato-fries-with-honey-lime-dip/

1 comment:

Butters In The Kitchen said...

Yum! I could use some of those right now! I have the serious munchies:)