Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Holy Guacamole!



Holy Guacamole~


You are going to love this recipe :)
 It is simple and only has a few ingredients.
(We LOVE simple, right?) 
It is super healthy ......annnnddd....
When you eat it, you get the "Remy Effect" 
Fireworks! Guaranteed. :)

This is a recipe I adapted from my mom's version of Ina Garden's Chunky Guacamole. . :) This time of year is perfect for fresh dips like this....... ONE day,  I will get some of these ingredients from my garden... as for right now.....

I will have to get mine from the store :)
(For the full effect, don't forget to imagine that western dry wind and of course, the 
tumbleweed blowing by... one day, one day.

The Best Guacamole

5 ripe avocados, diced
4-5 ripe tomatoes, diced (I used roma because it was what was on sale and they dice easily)
1/2 c red onion diced small
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
1/4 c fresh or bottled lemon juice
About a teaspoon of salt
Tapatio sauce to taste.

I forgot to add the lemon juice... so don't forget it! It's important :)

Dice and chop tomatoes, onion and cilantro and add to the bowl


 Dice your avocado last to avoid browning while working with the other vegetables. This is how I dice them:


Then just scoop them out with the knife you are using. Don't worry about it being perfect, Avocados are mushy and will mush a bit when you are stirring the ingredients together.... :)  
Mike is an engineer and so mathematical. If he were making this, each chunk of avocado would be a perfect 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch squares..... buuuttt.... I paused from my cooking for a second to take a few pictures of what was going on while I was dicing my avocados......


Claire's "stinker face" while being caught with a black pen on the couch.... that stinker

Sam climbing in the pantry 
.. I'm not kidding you... these pictures were taken in between avocado dicing :) 
Please tell me I'm not the only one who is constantly putting out fires with their kids! :) I'm going to tell myself that they are just very... curious.... and have a strong desire to "explore" the world around them......This isn't an abnormal moment, I just go around taking the pens, and helping them down from dangerous places, ... who has time for perfectly diced vegetables? They all get eaten in the end anyways right? :)

 And this kid was in need of some smooching... so........

 This is what it is :)

At this point, pour the lemon juice over the vegetables.
Add the salt
Add the Tapatio
And gently stir. 
Try to keep from mushing the avocados, but a little mush is inevitable! :) 

Now for my favorite part...


Taste Testing!! :)
This part is ESSENTIAL. We all have different tastes. I like putting a LOT of tapatio in... mmm! .. some like it more or less salty, you may want to add more onion....
. Never forget to taste test along the way!! :)



 We, of course love to eat this with chips, but it is also yummy smothered over quesidillas and burritos :) It is pretty similar to the guacamole they use at Cafe' Rio, so you can use it your salads as well :) MmMm.

I hope you enjoy this! You will never go back to buying it again! :)

No comments: