Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cara's Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancakes.... with blueberries :)

Now that you have an entire carton of Costco blueberries to try the Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze recipe, It was only fair that I gave you another blueberry recipe, right? 
Tis the season! :)

This is a recipe that Mike and I have been using since the first year of our marriage. This was originally my mother in law's recipe.- Through the years I have tweaked it to make it our own without realizing how much I had changed it. A few years back I hosted a recipe exchange with my inlaws and had this recipe titled "Deawn's Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancakes" .. or something like that ... but she had brought her recipe too! .... Except they were completely different! She looked at it and said, "this isn't my recipe!'' --- Ha!
I'm always weary of claiming other people's recipes as my own if I only change small things, but apparently, I had changed the whole recipe.. so I can confidently say that... this is....

Cara's Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancakes

These are great as pancakes or waffles! I'm more of a pancake girl... it's probably the "cake" involved.. anyway.. Serve with syrup,  or for a healthier option: yogurt, fresh fruit or apple sauce! 

We like to make the dry ingredient mix  in bulk and put them in Ziploc baggies for quick breakfasts! J 

A half batch is perfect for 2-3 people 

Cara’s Oatmeal Cinnamon Pancakes

2 c Quick Oats
½ c Brown Sugar
1 c Flour
1 c Whole Wheat Flour
1 ½ T baking powder
1T (heaping J) Cinnamon
¼ t cream of tarter

MIX… then add

2/3 c vegetable oil
2 Eggs
1 c water
1 c milk

We love adding chopped walnuts or pecans and blueberries - both are optional, but they make it so so good!! :) 



Place on a griddle or frying pan.....

How do you like the legs on my griddle? So... it's seen a few rough moves.... BUT! It works! 
"Use it up, Wear it out. Make it due, or due without!" ... right? :)

Now this part may be old news to you, but... when I got married, along with not knowing how to boil noodles, burning poptarts and making soggy mac and cheese... I made soggy pancakes, they were either burnt, or still batter in the middle. 
(My lack of cooking skills was such a blow to my pride, I had grown up watching and helping my mom in the kitchen... I suppose I missed "Poptarts 101" and the "How to Boil Noodles" class :))  

My sister in law Jenny taught me this trick: 
See those little tiny bubbles? When those fellas start to show up, you know it's time to flip! :)


Leaving YOU with Beautiful pancakes! :)
Remember, these are made with whole wheat flour, so they are brown, not white :).

And NOW! For the finale! .......
Dun da da dunnnnn....



Another stunning presentation.... hee hee...
No, but seriously. 
REAL moment here.... I have boxed up my pretty plates and bowls... too many of them have broke. Plastic is my new best friend. It washes easily, and when Claire throws a tantrum and swipes her plate off the table... the plate survives... Claire might not.. but the plate does :) heheh jk. 
I. Love. Plastic.
Now, I'm not going to tell you to appreciate this picture, even though it took 10 minutes and 2 plates to take... I won't tell you that it looked drab, so I pulled out frozen blueberries from the freezer, thawed them out in a sippy cup and am now typing with purple stained fingers.... because, apparently.. I am no photographer... But I won't tell you that..because that's too real :) .. hehehe

I know you will love this recipe :)

I like to double the recipe and use my regular waffle iron, then freeze them. They fit perfectly in the toaster and come out tasting fresh! Crispy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside.. yum! I loved having these on hand when I was pregnant and didn't want to make breakfast! :) ... or lunch.... or dinner.... ehem...

No comments: