Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Creamy Zucchini Soup

Creamy Zucchini Soup

Yum! I LOVE this Creamy Zucchini soup... it's even fun to say! ha! ".. anyway...
 Zucchini is always plentiful this time of year and this is a great way to use it :) Like most of the recipes I post on here, it is very simple, very fast, very economical and especially VERY good!! :) My entire family LOVES this recipe. Even Ben! :) I just scoop some into our mini food processor and blend it up for him.. if it is too runny, I just had oat or rice cereal to it. It freezes well in that form.. I've never tried to freeze it whole.. just as baby food. I'd imagine it wouldn't work to well.. but baby food - fantastic! :)
I originally found this recipe on :"Hungry Hinton's" It's a recipe blog of my friend's wife's sisters and mom. It is actually a really great blog and I have found a few I use over and over again... especially this one. She couldn't remember where she found it, so if you happen to stumble upon this and it is your recipe, please let me know! I would love to give credit where credit is deserved :)


Creamy Zucchini Soup


Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 25 min

Ingredients

2 med zucchini, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
2 T minced fresh parsley (or 2 t dried parsley)
1 tsp dried basil (Or a handful of fresh)
1/3 cup butter or margarine (or use olive oil)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
3 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes (or 1 T better than bullion, or just use 3 cups of chicken broth and omit the water)
1 tsp lemon juice
1 can (14 ½ oz) diced tomatoes
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 package (10 oz) frozen corn
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
Pinch sugar, optional
Chopped parsley as garnish, optional (I didn't use)

Preparation

In a Dutch oven or soup kettle over medium heat, sauté the zucchini, onion, parsley ,and basil in butter until veggies are tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in water. Add the bouillon and lemon juice, mix well. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.

Add tomatoes, evaporated milk, and corn; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until corn is tender. Just before serving, stir in Cheddar cheese and Parmesan until melted. Add sugar and garnish with parsley if desired.

Serve with warm crusty bread! Enjoy!! :)

No comments: